Festé was established in 2007 as a partnership between some of Derby’s main cultural partners to celebrate the city and its cultural offer. Since then it has gone from strength to strength and has become an essential part of the City’s cultural offer.
With a distinct emphasis on the family audience a programme of outdoor arts, visual and digital arts, performance, circus and music is presented each September. Attracting average annual audiences in excess of 30,000 people per annum Festé brings high quality national and international artists that would not otherwise be seen in the region.
Festé aims to deliver spectacle, distinctiveness and a sense of place that encourages audiences to feel proud of the place where they live. The festival’s importance to local people was confirmed by Derby City Council and Arts Council England investing funding through to 2017 ensuring the festival’s ongoing viability. Festé aims to present a balance of international, national and local artists and believes that the event is rooted in Derby but speaking to the world.
Festé is managed as a partnership between Déda, Derby LIVE, Derby QUAD and Derby Theatre who form the Executive Group and represents an excellent example of a consortium working to deliver high quality work for large audiences.
There is the opportunity for a professional company / artist with a proven track record to submit a proposal for a £4,000 commission. The selected work must be ready for performance on the Festé weekend – the 29th & 30th September 2017
We are looking to commission a Static or Walkabout piece which meets the following criteria:
- Innovative and engaging content
- A new piece of work which responds to Re:Imagine India 2017 (desired but not essential)
- Pieces that are eye-catching, accessible and designed to capture foot traffic
- Content that highlights the public realm
- Work that demonstrates quality and excellence
- The work should be between 20 – 30 minutes in length
- The work must be presented three times in Derby City Centre as part of Festé 2017
Please note –
- The outcome of a Grants For The Arts application for Festé 2017 will be known by 30th March 2017, this commission opportunity is dependent on this application being successful
- In the six months lead in time to Festé 2017 the successful project/s will be assigned a mentor from the Festé Programme Group to contribute in the development of the work.
- It is recognised that other funding partners may need to be identified and in this instance Derby Festé will be a co-commissioner.
Please submit your proposal using the following headings:
1. Piece description: 1 x side of A4 maximum
2. Company/group background
2.1. Including details about where you are based, previous performance highlights, awards and accreditations
3. Videos, images and links
3.1. Submissions must include at least one group performance video. This video does not need to be of an extremely high professional quality or of the specific piece being submitted. It simply needs to reflect the style and makeup of each group.
4. Infrastructure and production requirements
Please also include a current CV (this should include evidence of relevant experience, knowledge, skills and abilities) for the lead contact on this project.
Please note – All facilitators working with children/young people and/or vulnerable adults will be required to have had a recent DBS check or be willing to undertake one.
- Deadline for expressions of interest: 5pm, 17th March, 2017
- Artists will be informed of the panel’s decision by 31st March 2017
- Programme performances: 29th / 30th September 2017
- Evaluation meeting November 2017
Please send submissions to Stephen Munn: firstname.lastname@example.org